Saturday, November 12, 2011

HBO Ring Life: Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez recap


Boxing fans will learn more about Juan Manuel Marquez than they will about Manny Pacquiao in this episode. This is because we are now so acquainted with the life story of Manny Pacquiao that it seems there is very little left out there that has not been covered in the past. Yet, there were some new insights that we can get if we watch and listen close enough.

The episode started with Manny Pacquiao telling his story that we've all heard before, and then some. Growing up in the Phillipines, Manny Pacquiao was "dirt poor, abandoned by his father, no money to buy food," and turned to boxing to help his mother make ends meet.

"I turned pro at 16, from the beginning I was not a very good fighter and I don't have natural talent but I had a determination to win the fight." -- Of course, considering where he is now, we all know that this was just partly true, because at a young age, with minimal or no amateur experience at all, Manny Pacquiao was not a very good fighter. But with his hard work and determination, Manny Pacquiao discovered his innate talent in prizefighting, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Freddie Roach, for his part, spoke of his chance meeting with the current pound-for-pound fighter in the world, which he now attributes to fate: "12 years ago he walked into my gym and his manager asked me to work the mitts with him. After one round, I was impressed with his quickness and timing. Every time he hit the mitts, it sounded like gunfire."

So, I said to my friend after the short workout, 'This kid can fight!'"

And Manny Pacquiao went back to his manager and told him, "We have a new trainer."


*Continue reading the article- HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment